Tuesday, February 05, 2008

English to English Translation

I am the best English to English translator there is. I have been saying it for for years and as I think about it this comment may stem from pride. Though i think it also comes from the way that I view the world. I have always wanted it to be some concrete and definite thing. I have always wanted to translate the chaos into some sort of order. Plus I am prone to seeing other peoples perspectives on things so I think I can easily understand what they are trying to say.
But when one is translating something is always lost. The translator can only hope to convey the general idea or communicate the message but all nuance and the subtlety are lost. Misunderstanding is created by the choice of words. What you are truly trying to say is never what gets translated. Because the way we try to say it is what creates the need for translation.

No comments: