Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Grandpa's Killer is up For Parole


Cops Want Cop Killer Kept Behind Bars

CHICAGO (WBBM) - A group of Chicago police officers will be in Springfield today when the Illinois Parole Board meets to decide the fate of a convicted cop-killer.
Richard Luckey will be 80 years old next month. 35 years ago, he shot and killed Chicago Police Officer Robert Wenzel during a traffic stop on Lake Shore Drive.
Luckey and his passenger allegedly had been making plans to pull off an armed robbery before they were stopped.
Sgt. Patrick O’Malley is among 27 officers appearing at the parole hearing and says the group wants “to make sure he serves the time he was sentenced”, 75 to 150 years.
The Chicago Police Department moved to two-person squad cars after Officer Bob Wenzel’s murder on a dark January morning in 1973.
Sgt. O’Malley says it’s especially important to keep alive the memory of officers killed in the line of duty. When Officer Bob Wenzel was killed, he left behind a wife and two children.
The Chicago Police Memorial Foundation organized the trip to the parole board.

The radio report


Its weird. I never met my Grandpa because this guy Richard Luckey who was on his way to go rob someone. Whats also weird is the guy is 80 so it seems like logically why not let the guy out. Then I think about how of how I feel about my other Grandpa and how much I would love to have known Bob and never want Luckey to get out. It's also weird that his last name is pronounced Lucky.

PS My Grandpa Killer died June 28th 2011.

No comments: